NUTRITION AFTER RNY GASTRIC BYPASS
After the RNY Gastric Bypass operation, the patients need to change their eating habits in order to make them more healthy. Eating healthy does not mean dieting.
Postoperative, the patients are reccomended to eat 3 main meals and 3 healthy snacks.
Patients can eat every type of food, but postoperative there is an important difference is portion size and the amount of calorie that is absorbed by the intestines.
The patient won't have any problems as long as he/she develops healthy eating/drinking habits.
There is no "only-liquid-nutrition" period after the RNY Gastric Bypass operation.
48 hours after the operation, the patient can already consume the recommended food types on a mashed way.
Our nutritional guidelines after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.
- Remember that the volume of your "new" stomach has decreased.
- The first month after surgery, nutrition recommendations must be strictly followed.
- The foods need to be chewed properly and eaten slowly.
- Liquid food should be consumed 30 minutes before or after eating solid food. If consumed simultaneously, you may encounter difficulties.
- You should try to consume at least 1.5 - 2 liters of water per day.
- Remember the importance of having a balanced diet.
- Pay attention to sweet foods.
- Dumping syndrome can occur when you eat too fast or too much because sugary and fatty foods enter the small intestine quickly.
If you experience dumping syndrome, it is a sign that you aren't eating according to our instructions.
Symptoms of dumping syndrome: nausea, cramps, diarrhea, fatigue, dizziness, sweating, tachycardia.
- Dumping sendromu oluştuğunda yaklaşık yarım saat sürebilir ve paniklememeniz gerekir çünkü bu durum kendiliğinden normale dönecektir.
- Dumping syndrome can last for about 30-60 minutes and you don't need to panic because the situation will return to normal on its own.
- Since fatty foods are difficult to digest, you should avoid this type of food. On the other hand, for a healthy diet, a certain amount of fat should be consumed daily. Unsaturated fats (olive oil, sunflower oil, hazelnut oil...) should be preferred.
- We do not recommend high-calorie carbonated beverages such as coke and alcoholic drinks for the first 3 months.
- Try to eat frequently small portions instead of less frequent meals and large portions.