NUTRITION AFTER SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY
After the Sleeve Gastrectomy, the patients need to change their eating habits in order to make them more healthy. Eating healthy does not mean dieting.
Postoperative, the patients are reccomended to eat 3 main meals and 3 healthy snacks.
Patients can eat every type of food, but postoperative there is an important difference is portion size and the amount of calorie that is absorbed by the intestines.
The patient won't have any problems as long as he/she develops healthy eating/drinking habits.
Since the risk of leakage after a sleeve gastrectomy operation is higher than other operations, patients have to be fed only with liquid foods for the first two weeks. During these two weeks, protein-supplements are recommended.
Our nutritional guidelines after Sleeve Gastrectomy.
- Remember that the volume of your "new" stomach has decreased.
- The first 6 weeks after surgery, nutrition recommendations must be strictly followed.
- The foods need to be chewed properly and eaten slowly.
- Liquid food should be consumed 30 minutes before or after eating solid food. If consumed simultaneously, you may encounter difficulties.
- You should try to consume at least 1.5 - 2 liters of water per day.
- Remember the importance of having a balanced diet.
- Pay attention to sweet foods.
- As the sleeve gastrectomy procedure has no malabsorptive effect, the calories of the consumed foods will be completely absorbed. Especially in sweet-eating patients, the probability of weight regain after sleeve gastrectomy is higher than in malabsorptive operations (eg. gastric bypass procedures).
- We do not recommend high-calorie carbonated beverages such as coke and alcoholic drinks for the first 3 months.
- Try to eat frequently small portions instead of less frequent meals and large portions.